The smiley is the player's sprite. Players can control the smiley with either the arrow keys or WASD and pressing space to jump. There are 7 free smilies and 6 Beta smilies. There are also several other smilies, which can be collected when a player wins a building challenge, collects a magical coin, or buys them using Energy or Gems. The smilies are based off of the emoticons from Facebook's instant messenger.
On August 17, 2012, the shop was updated to be much more "fancy". Smiley descriptions were removed.
- During Easter 2013, the Zombie smiley turned into a Zombie Bunny. There were no functional differences, and obtained just the same as normal Zombies.
- The Red Ninja appeared in the shop, but couldn't be bought until 2015.
- A Purple Ghost smiley appeared on MrShoe's profile, and was removed from the game shortly thereafter. However, it was later added as a magic smiley in February 2015. It can be obtained after getting all magic smileys (except Grinch smiley)
- An upside-down smiley appeared in the image files of the game. The Purple Ghost replaced this smilies ID in the files.
- Previously, when one touched diamond block, he or she would be turned into a fake big spender (the big spender smiley, mirrored with a shorter hat).
The column "Payvault Class" is the class used by PlayerIO to determine what the player has.
- Classes starting with "smiley" are directly bought from the Smiley tab in the Energy Shop.
- Classes starting with "brick" or "mixed" are bought with a package from the Block tab.
- The "unobtainable" class means that the player cannot permanently attire the smiley, and must be obtained while in a world. If the player leaves with a smiley marked unobtainable, their smiley will be reset to the last selected smiley.
- The "pro" class is obtained from buying the Beta package, which also included 9 blocks and 2 worlds. However, with the addition of Builders Club, the ability to buy the Beta package was removed. Those who already had bought the package still have the 6 smilies and blocks and the 2 worlds. NVD's team added beta back in 2015.
- The column "Obtained From" is where the smiley is obtained from.
- Energy Shop - Bought directly from the Energy Shop Smiley or Block tab.
- Classic Shop - Used to be available for purchase from the Smiley or Block tab for a limited time, but has since moved to the Classic tab, and may only be bought for gems, higher than what the price was when it was in the Smiley or Block tab.
- Magic - Rarely, a coin gives a Magic Coin. Magic Coins increase your total energy, which determines how much energy you can hold before it stops recharging. Even more rarely, the coin may give the Wizard, Fire Wizard, Witch, Dark Wizard, or Purple Ghost (newest), giving the first smiley the player does not have in that order. During Christmas 2011, some coins gave the Grinch smiley, but may no longer be acquired.
- Contest - Back in 2011, Chris held 2 contests, supported by RPGmaster2000. For Easter, the first place winners won the Bird and Bunny smilies. The second place winners won the Bunny smiley. For Halloween, all of the winners won the Pumpkin smiley. The first and second place winners also won the Lit Pumpkin smiley. The Artist smiley was a reward for getting first, second or third place in the Loading Contest 2015 from 1 March-10 March.
- Miscellaneous - Obtained from various methods.
- Superman - Only Moderators may get this smiley. Upon becoming a Moderator, they acquire this smiley.
- Fan Boy - Originally, fans of Everybody Edits could send in a post card to Chris, where he would then give the smiley. This has however stopped, as too many people were sending them in and Mr. Shoe took over. The designers of the Kung Fu Master, Fox, and Dark Vision smilies also received the Fan Boy smiley, if they did not already have it. Since then, a new fan boy smiley has been created my Mr. Shoe, called Fan Boy 2.
- Postman - Signing up for the Everybody Edits newsletter.
- Special - Obtained from doing certain actions, such as touching a block. These are all marked "unobtainable" as their Payvault Class, and as such leaving a world as these smilies will reset it to the last selected smiley.
- Diamond Touch - Touching a Diamond block.
- PartyOrange - Touching a Cake block, happens 25% of the time.
- PartyGreen - Touching a Cake block, happens 25% of the time.
- PartyBlue - Touching a Cake block, happens 25% of the time.
- PartyRed - Touching a Cake block, happens 25% of the time.
- Zombie - Touching a zombie effect block, or being touched by another Zombie.
- Hologram - Touching a hologram block.
- The Kung Fu Master, Fox, and Night Vision smilies were designed by Tiken, Cola1, and TOOP, respectively, as part of a smiley design contest. There was supposed to be only 1 winner, but the Everybody Edits team at the time could not decide who to pick, so they picked 3. These were the first smilies made by fans of the game, and not by a moderator. These 3 members received 1 month of Builders Club, the Fan Boy smiley (if they did not have it), and all 3 smilies.
- Other players in a room leave a white streak on the minimap. The player you are controlling is green on the minimap. However, the Ninja smiley is pseudo-invisible on the minimap. It leaves a very difficult to see grey streak as of 2015 - before that it was completely invisible. The Police smiley leaves a blue streak, and the robber leaves a semi-transparent streak.
- The original smiley designs were derived from the Facebook smilies. Rpgmaster2000 designed the smilies from 2010-2012. Toby made the worker, bully, commando, and cowboy smilies. MrSecretGraphicsGuyWhoDoesAllOfOurGraphics, who worked for MrShoe, designed the smilies from 2012-2013. TOOP is the current graphics designer and designed smilies/blocks since October 2014.
- As of the 18th of April, 2015, over 50 smileys were redesigned (mostly from the weekly update era).