Chat is a feature which was added on November 2010. Chat was initially limited to beta members, although later it was purchaseable by anyone for $0.01 USD, to serve as a form of parental verification. Later, chat cost $1 USD but has since become free of cost. Users who purchased chat for $1 received 20 gems in compensation. Chat was enabled automatically when players purchased it from paypal. Nvd made the chat free for all registered users, four months after MrShoe had chosen to charge real-world cash to increase funding. MrShoe raised the cost of chat from $0.01 to $3 (users were given 50 gems as well as chat when they purchased it at this price) initially, before lowering the cost to $1 USD.
- Quick Chat was introduced on 28 December, 2011.
- After the update during 31 October, 2014, all players can enable chat with their email address.
- As of 24 April 2013, chat is available to all registered players. Guests are not allowed to chat.
- Prior to EE 2.0, users with a free account had their chat censored from swearing. EE 2.0 added an option to disable this.
- In the update of February 7, 2015, chat was made free again by Nvd.
- Before chat was introduced, many players used the website Tinychat as an alternative.
- Another pre-chat action was swapping between and File:Smiley.png at a fast rate to give smileys the appearance of talking.
- The Quick Chat messages used to show up in the chat. This feature was removed on 29 December, 2011.